|"He that plants trees loves others
beside himself." ~~Thomas Fuller
Since we're sandwiched between Earth Day and Arbor Day, I
thought another environmentally-focused newsletter was
due. So here goes!
Back in JABB
435, I listed ways the Dyeland characters might
celebrate these twin holidays. Given they have at
least three worlds to care for (Earth, Dyeland, El-Chanan),
I imagine they have an abundance of ways to protect their
planets. So here's ten more!
Top Ten *More* Ways Dyelanders and
Friends Are Celebrating Earth Day and Arbor Day
10. They'll dry their clothes via line drying, not a
clothes dryer. Bonus: Opportunities to admire the
AODs' flannel, white, green, etc. shirts!
9. They'll save some electricity by enjoying candlelit
meals. Bonus: Ooh la la.
8. With their production of The Secret Garden
coming up, Emma and Peter will be sure to promote
"green-ness" during its run. They'll organize pre-show
talks about earth-friendly topics like gardening, recycling,
and so on and have a few activities for the kids like
planting bee-friendly flowers and such.
7. Those with lawns will learn to embrace the weeds
rather than use pesticides. For one, some have
medicinal use. For another, many are more attractive
than grass if people would just get past the "weed"
label. And, finally, what's cuter than lil kids
running around blowing dandelions and shrieking with glee?
6. Going forward, everyone will take a cue from Clay
and Yosef and buy their significant others cut flowers only
sparingly. Bring on the butterfly bushes, rose bushes,
and other living flowers!
5. Andrew will buy JenniAnn a herd of rescue goats for
their anniversary on Tuesday. They'll rent them out to
their friends (for free) as the ultimate green
lawnmower. The goats will be happy and whomever
usually mows will have more quality time!
4. They can repurpose their wine and ginger ale
bottles into bottle trees and trellises.
3. Not gonna get too spoilery but once I (finally!)
finish the latest story, you'll see that Dyeland's
population is gonna go up a bit which means more
building. They'll commit to planting two trees for
every one that gets cut down.
2. Throughout the year, the Friends will expose their
little ones to the awesomeness of nature so that they grow
up cherishing Earth, Dyeland, and El-Chanan and wanting to
protect them and help them flourish for generations to come.
1. As with last year, all the Friends will take some
time to reflect on the beauty of creation and thank God for
the beauty and wonder of it all.
See how many of the environmentally themed Dyeland and
TBAA trivia questions you can answer! Answers are at
the bottom of this page.
1. The Dyeland portal used to be in a certain type
of tree before Joshua moved it to the gazebo. What
sort of tree was it?
2. Where were Maryam, Yosef, and Yeshua living when
Yosef got a rose bush for his wife?
3. What sort of flower is Gloria associated
with? Hint: It's also the reason behind Joshua's
petname for her: CB.
4. John/Yohannan gifted Violeta with a stone from a
famous river. Which river?
5. What was the name of the scientist in TBAA's "The
6. Among the Friends is a family who all have
plant-based names. List the three members of that
7. The character of Taylor was introduced in what
TBAA episode with a Shakespearean phrase that originally
referenced a flower as its title?
8. Which character retold a faulty parable about a
rose to the female Friends who then witnessed Joshua
completely subverting it?
9. Name the character who unwittingly stole a
carving of a flower from their neighbor boy.
10. In which family do many of the female members
have night/moon-themed names?
newsletter is dedicated to John Dye for inspiring the
Dyeland stories. I envision Dyeland and
El-Chanan as being much more utopian than Earth in the
sense that the wear and tear hasn't been as great in
those places. It's made me more aware of the
bits of utopia left here on Earth. I'm also
dedicating this to the two ducks that wandered into my
yard as I wrote this. Because they're cute and
remind me of Violeta!
1. willow tree, 2. Egypt, 3. cherry
blossom, 4. Jordan, 5. Emmett Rivers, 6.
Lily, Azalea, and Basil Thornton, 7. "An Angel by Any
Other Name," 8. Kylie, 9. Maryam (from
Yosef), 10. the Al-Mitras and related (Isra,
Aiyla, Badriya, and Belle)
(Photo Credits: The photographs used
on this page are from Touched by an Angel and
owned by CBS Productions, Caroline Productions, and Moon
Water Productions. They are not being used to seek