is everything. It is the preview of life's coming
So... I have spent more time than I care to admit
working on this
in an effort to not make huge continuity mistakes, allow
anyone other than Joshua to multilocate, or just generally
not make any character look like a blathering idiot.
Therefore, I did not work on this newsletter at all until
late on the evening before it was due. Since I spent
hours steeped in Dyeland history, I figured why not go
with that? Plus, we haven't had a contest in a
while. In fact, it's been such a long while that the
ol' Rules page is out of date so I'm not going to bother
with it. The rules are these:
1. Answer as many questions as you can (both parts)
and then email them to me at jenni(at)onthisside.net
(obviously replacing (at) with the correct symbol which
I'm not using here to avoid spam.
2. You can use any resource you like. You just
can't directly ask me for an answer.
3. If there is genuine confusion about a question,
feel free to ask me and I will clarify by posting my
response on this page.
4. You must be a JABB member to play.
5. The deadline is November 2nd at noon Central
6. In the event of a tie, there will be quick trivia
rounds until we're narrowed down to one winner.
And now you may be asking... why would we do this?
Well, there is a prize. And you get to determine
what it is! Well, within reason. When we did
contests before, I had Amazon.com lists of prizes under
$25 that folks could choose from. But we have a
smaller group now and I trust your judgments. So
I'll PayPal $25 over to the winner and they can do with it
what they like. Wanna put it towards TBAA's
S9? Fantastic. Would you rather buy five $5
coffee drinks? That's cool! Give to
charity? Awesome. Or maybe you can use it for
eye drops because you're still struggling with that eye
strain leftover from reading "Abide With Me." Also
So that's the deal. Have fun!
Jenni's Dyeland Overload Trivia Contest
1. What song plays whenever Andrew or JenniAnn call each
other on their cell phones? In other words, what is
their shared ringtone?
2. What is the full name of Vincent's biological father?
3. What is the name of the company Tess headed up during
the gang's stint in West Hollow?
4. What lullaby does Andrew often sing?
5. Tess' dog was finally named... what?
6. Briefly explain what Dyeland's version of
7. While God chose the Jolly Green for Andrew, which
angel did he have to visit to obtain the van?
8. What is the name of the shelter that Catherine runs?
9. One Halloween season, when Adam was interviewing to
be a store Santa, a little lost boy sought "Santa's"
help. What was the child's name?
10. When the Dyelanders put on a production of The
Crucible, it prompted Andrew to tell them about a long
ago assignment he had in this town.
11. This is the name of JenniAnn's alma mater and the
setting for much of one of Andrew's recent assignments.
12. What did Joshua grow up calling his parents?
(The human ones... And he still calls them this often.)
13. When things were still fairly strained between them,
Monica bought Andrew a key chain in the shape of this Celtic
14. On what date did Kemara meet Andrew?
15. Raquel Seywell married this fellow with many of the
16. When Max first met JenniAnn, what name did he give
as an alias?
17. The death of this woman prompted Andrew's breakdown
in 2006, nearly costing him his friendships with the Dyelanders.
During their shared dreams while Andrew was in Afghanistan,
Andrew tells JenniAnn his and Adam's "secret password" in
order to prove to her and the Dyelanders the reality of the
meetings. What was the secret password? Hint: It
was actually two words.
19. What is the name of Yva's guardian angel?
20. Andrew first met the Dyelanders on this date.
21. This man committed the murder that Andrew was put on
22. What last name did Andrew use while in West Hollow?
23. Andrew and Max both have similar necklaces made by
Rose. What are the pendants?
24. What ends up curing Mick? (Not that it's
25. What is Owen's full name?
26. In 2008, Andrew tried to intervene with a fight and
was knocked out for a bit. He dreamed that his friends
were actually the naughty stars of a TV show. Who was
the producer in his dream?
27. What was the name of the fake... but actually
gifted... psychic who predicted Andrew would soon be in dire
28. Long ago, Andrew had an assignment in serious need
of an attitude adjustment. And somehow this led to
Andrew jumping off the roof of a stable as a sort of
dare... What was that assignment's name?
29. What was the (sort of) name of the character Andrew
played in Attack of the Killer Frog People from Planet Z?
30. This is the priest who, while pastor of a parish in
Manhattan, was born and raised in Dyeland.
31. What does Andrew win for Violeta in "Roots and
32. What is Vincent's Celtic animal birth sign?
33. In tribute to Monica, the AOD Band released a CD of
Celtic music. According to Adam, there's not a dry eye
to be found when Andrew sings this Celtic song.
34. Though once a dear friend of Andrew, this angel fell
in the 1600s. :-(
35. What was the date of Mick's and Beth's wedding which
Andrew presided over?
36. She sculpted the Pieta featured in "Ivy."
37. Josef's beloved.
38. Yosef's beloved.
39. What is the name of Rose's aunt who she has lived
with in Dyeland for some years?
40. In "Netherlands," Monica has a connection with a man
named Mike Rice. A similar occurrence happened to the
real Monica. What was the actual fellow's name?
41. Andrew's favorite cake.
42. Winner of the "Best Cooking and Baking Instructor"
43. When the Dyelanders need a hacker/computer guru,
they turn to this fellow.
44. Where C.J. resides when in Dyeland.
45. In 2009, the Dyeland tribe attended a Renaissance
Faire. What menu item made Adam uncomfortable?
46. Max's and Rose's eventual children's first names
47. Andrew had to sing this literary-inspired song to
break JenniAnn out of a funk upon learning of his decision to
48. This little girl was enchanted by Andrew when he
visited the island of St. Maarten.
49. When did Violeta first arrive in Dyeland?
50. And finally... to end this section... what is the
name of Andrew's house in Dyeland?
Dyeland Quote Match
the object here is to match the quote (sometimes really
more of an excerpt) to the Dyeland story it came
from. I just picked these randomly so they're by no
means necessarily highlights. Have fun and good
1. JenniAnn was the first to
break the silence. She was gazing out the window
when she began to murmur. "'He must have seen in
her eyes that she had given in to him, that she was
prepared to leave him to himself --to love his God, and
to do whatever he pleased-- so long as he was only
White's The Once and Future King," Andrew recognized.
2. Relieved to see his friend begin to relax,
Mick continued. "Look, you saw some loser
intimidating someone you love. You did what you
had to do to protect her. If you want me to
crucify you for that then I'm sorry. You'll have
to get the nails and hammer from someone else."
3. "As soon as the words left my mouth, I
regretted them," Tess continued. "Your face clouded over and I
saw you flinch as if I had just said the worst thing to
you imaginable; though I suppose that at that moment,
maybe I had." Tears welled in her eyes. "You
had been hurting and I hadn't noticed until it dawned on
me at that moment. My intentions had been to get
you to 'straighten up' as I saw fit. But that's
not what you needed then. Sometimes, such as at
that moment, all you've really needed was a hug and a
little extra love and attention. I still don't
always see that as often as I should, baby, but I am
trying and with the Father's help, I'll get better about
4. "Don't touch me!" the irate young woman
hissed. Andrew remembered standing on her doorstep that
previous Saturday, feeling as if she'd slapped
him. This was a hundred times worse. He
turned away from her before speaking. "I won't
touch you. I'll never speak to you or see you
again if that's what you want. But you'll always
be my friend. I'll always care about you. I
love you, just as you are. God loves you, just as
He created you."
5. "I knew that if you'd known it was me then,
of course, you would have stayed with me. But you
didn't know Jack. Well, you didn't know you knew
Jack. And you were willing to give up so much for
him... for me. Because you believed, you trusted,
you loved. I gave you the gift of truth, Monica,
and you heeded it. When everything suggested
'Jack' was guilty... when it would have been quite
reasonable to turn your back on him... you held fast to
that gift, to that truth. I'm so proud of you for
that and so much more, Monica. And... I wanted to
be here. I love you so much and what parent
doesn't want to be right there when their child reaches
an important milestone?"
6. "That's right," Adam averred. "He is
your God. And He loves you, just as Andrew said
now and just as Andrew told you countless times when the
two of you were in Afghanistan. God didn't want
you to be alone with those men. So He sent you one
of His angels to watch over you. Usually, in cases
like that, we angels of death remain in our true forms;
whisperings words of hope, of love, of comfort.
And, if it's their time, we take our assignments Home to
Heaven, almost always unseen. But Andrew... my
friend... he thought it would be easier for you to have
both a friend and an angel."
7. "'So much that seems so important can
be taken away in the blink of an eye: your home, your
belongings, your reputation, even your identity.
But you're the only one who can decide how much love is
in your life. When... when you find some...
someone... to share..." Andrew tried to blink back
his tears so he could continue but they came too
quickly. JenniAnn caressed the angel's cheek then took the
journal from him. "'When you find someone to share
that love with, keep hold of them for as long as you
8. "She hears the taunts. She feels the pain of their words, piercing her soul. Yet that same soul whispers, 'He faced this, too!'
9. "You are God's beloved child. And
He is so proud of you. Proud of the boy you were,
the man you became. The family you raised and
loved. Your devotion to your community. When
He looks at you, that's what He sees. And that's
what He wants you to see."
10. Andrew shrugged, unable to wipe the smile
off his face. "I was just daydreaming." "What exactly do angels daydream about?" Yva asked,
amused by the idea. "Love," Andrew answered simply, pulling them into a
So I've probably said this before but I think it bears
repeating: John (directly or indirectly) taught me a
lot. As I was going through all these stories and
newsletters, I reflected on just how much I've learned that I
wouldn't have without JABB. And, of course, there would
be no JABB without John. So this newsletter is dedicated
to John's ability to send me hunting through the history
sites, searching through my poetry books, and digging through
biblical scholarship many years after my formal education
ended. And, of course, without him, I wouldn't know any
of you and think of all the things we've learned from each