behind me; I may not lead.
Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.
Just walk beside me and be my friend."
As some of you may know, the Pay It Forward in Memory of John
Dye group has moved off Facebook and to our own community via
our web site. If you're interested, we'd love to have
you join us! I'm really looking forward to having a
safer, less ad-heavy place to focus on John's legacy.
Unfortunately, the move involved quite an investment of time
for Cindy and me so this newsletter is a bit rushed.
It's a shame cause March 17th marks Andrew's 13th anniversary
of coming to Dyeland... a date that they all came to celebrate
as the group's anniversary. So I would have liked to
have written a story. When I knew that wasn't going to
be possible, I considered writing some sort of joke list about
the traditional 13th anniversary gift. But turns out
that's lace and I just wasn't sure where to go with Andrew and
lace! So maybe it's best to celebrate the occasion by
letting a couple Dyelanders speak for themselves.
Might Be a Dyelander If...
Happy 13th anniversary, ya'll! On March 17th, 2000,
Andrew and a group of us Dyelanders stumbled into each
other in the Fields of Gold. Without that meeting...
gosh... well, I don't wanna think about that.
Thankfully, that meeting did happen and since then a bunch
of you have joined us. So Andrew and I thought that
a fun way to mark the occasion would be to list off some
traits we think are common to our lovely group. Here
by Andrew and JenniAnn
(items both thought up are in blue)
- You've ever used the phrase "What in the worlds?!?"
Stress on the plural there. ;-)
- You've ever found yourself saying this: "I'm going Home
for a little bit. I mean capital H Home. I'll
see you at lowercase home tomorrow."
- You find yourself rolling your eyes during the Twilight
movies because you know how it *really* is...
- You were ever knighted by a Nebraskan.
- You know way more about Harry
Potter than you ever really wanted to know.
- Even as an AOD, you know there's somewhere outside of
Heaven where no one is afraid of you but, instead, they
all love you.
- That list item right above made
you tear up a little.
- The fact that the list item two above made someone
tear up made you tear up.
- You have your very own Christmas ornament on the
Dyeland tree that was designed/chosen just for
you. And you know who all the other ones signify
and the stories behind them.
- You've celebrated a friend's 37th birthday five times and
it's not because he's in denial.
- You know that "Spin the Bottle" is a
karaoke game and nothing more.
- You still really don't understand how your cell phone is
able to call, say, Manhattan from Serendipity but you've
learned to live with the mystery.
- When you think of the city "DC," it brings notions of a
certain handsome AOD, a lovely blue and lavender castle, and
a super awesome yard maze before you think about a big White
House or an oval office.
- You've ever been subjected to people
rooting around in your history trying to determine your
age OR you're doing the rooting. I know who you
- You're pretty sure you've tasted about every variety of
red velvet food that exists.... but
that doesn't mean you're sick of it. Bring on the
red velvet food!
- You've grown used to eating meals in
which the main course involves the words "like substance."
- You've ever played
Andrewopoly. I still can't get over that...
- You don't take for granted that brick walls, the backs of
closets, the trunks of trees, or the like are actually
- You've learned... often with some difficulty... that
open and honest communication is very, very
important. You know that if you were to forget that,
someone will be there to remind you... often in pretty
- You know the rules to Hairspy and
also know that it's still not as desirable as winning
Shotgun in the Jolly Green.
- You've ever used
(or thought) the phrase "If Tess ain't happy, ain't nobody
happy" and you have examples to support this
premise. Hi Tess! I love you. 0:-)
- You can't remember what your hair looked like six months
ago but, by golly, you can list every hair style Andrew's
had since 1996... in order and in exhaustive detail.
- Oh and you can also give detailed reports on Andrew's
facial hair. Adam's, too. And Henry's...
although he doesn't change it up as often.
- You've ever been filmed by Andrewcam
- You always keep ginger ale stocked... whether or not
you like it.
- You know how to celebrate Halloween well... not as a
- You get sentimental over paper
- You've spent countless hours trying to think of ways to
make AODs blush cause it's just so darn cute when they do.
- You've gotten used to coming home to
discover that your closet has been raided. But you
don't mind. *Or* you regularly engage in closet
- You know the Father keeps His promises... even when
things seem impossible.
- You're here to read what we're suggesting be made the
motto of Dyeland: "God loves you and so do I." And
you know it's true!
This newsletter is
dedicated to all of the seventeen years that John Dye
kept these half-Irish eyes o'mine smiling. Those
of us who have been able to enjoy his work weren't
lucky. It's more than that. We're blessed.
(Photo Credits: The photographs used on this
page are from Touched by an Angel and owned by CBS
Productions, Caroline Productions, and Moon Water
Productions. They are not being used to seek profit.)